Written By Admin
Wednesday, June 15, 2016
Celery is a common ingredient in super-tasty soups and stews, and it is also considered to be ”model’s favorite snack.” This green veggie is low in calories, which practically means that you will burn more calories while chewing it than it usually contains. Or at least that is what some say.
However, it is still true that celery is one of the best veggies you should snack every day. It is native to the countries in the Middle West and the Mediterranean, but it is used in almost every kitchen throughout the world. It is interesting to mention how every bit of the plant can be used and consumed, so use both its leaves and stalks to empower the taste of your dishes.
Celery has a distinctive salty flavor, and its nutritional values is quite astonishing. It offers a plethora of vitamins and minerals, and here we would like to mention that it is incredibly abundant in vitamin C, the vitamin that strengthens your immune system. Celery is also packed with potassium and folic acid, and the body needs these to carry out its functions properly. In this article we give you some great reasons to start using celery today, and enjoy its benefits.
1. Relieve stress It is the best natural tool you can use to reduce stress, due to its high magnesium content. Magnesium is known for its ability to soothe nerves. Snack some celery before you go to bed to get some good night’s sleep.
2. Regulate blood pressure Due to its high potassium content, celery can help you deal with high blood pressure. Its phthalides soothe muscles that surround the arteries. In this way blood vessels dilate with no trouble, causing the blood pressure to drop with ease.
3. Decrease cholesterol The very same phthalides in celery can also decrease bad cholesterol. These mighty compounds stimulate the production of bile acid, which aids in reducing LDL cholesterol. Nutritionists suggest that you eat 2 celery sticks every day.
4. Prevent premature aging Celery offers large amounts of antioxidants, vitamins A, C, and E, and other beneficial nutrients. Its antioxidant power works against toxins and prevents skin-aging. Vitamin E moisturizes and nourishes skin.
5. Relieve inflammation Given that it is an anti-inflammatory, celery relieves pain induced by any form of inflammation. Luteolin gives celery its huge anti-inflammatory potential, and it reduces the inflammation in the hippocampus, or the part of your brain that is responsible for your memory.
6. Relieve menstrual symptoms Anethole is naturally contained in celery. This phytochemical has shown to regulate hot flashes during menstruation. Celery offers 50 different compounds with a distinguishing power to relieve menstrual symptoms, including abdominal pain, bloating, and headaches.
7. Natural diuretic Potassium and sodium make celery an excellent diuretic. It regulates body fluids, and also flushes toxins out of the body.
8. Strengthen joints According to health experts, celery can relieve inflammation-induced ailments, like arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and gout. Its strong anti-inflammatory potential reduces swelling and pain in joints, which is of great help for people who deal with such ailments. Nutritionists suggest that you drink a glass of celery juice every day.
9. Increase libido Androstenol and androsterone in celery stimulate libido, and enhances healthy sex drive.
10. Prevent cancer Compounds in celery protect against the development of abnormal cancer cells. Phthalides and polyacetylenes detoxify cells and prevent cancer, especially ovarian cancer. Luteolin, another flavonoid, prevents cancer growth and spreading.
11. Eye health A single celery stalk provides 10% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin A. This nutrient is essential for vision. Celery contains few other nutrients that prevent the development of macular degeneration.
12. Relieve bladder infection Celery has strong diuretic and anti-inflammatory properties, which aids in the elimination of gallstones from the body. Celery is also efficient in treating bladder infections.
13. Enhance digestion Celery is high in water and fiber. Moreover, it contains more water and insoluble fiber than most vegetables. This is ideal for the treatment of constipation, and it maintains normal bowel movement.
14. Stimulate healthy weight loss As we already said, celery contains very few calories. A single stalk has about 15 calories, meaning that you can eat plenty of it without the fear of extra calories. Plus, fiber in celery keeps you full throughout the day.
15. Get rid of bad breath Last but not less important, celery helps you eliminate unpleasant breath, which occurs due to poor oral hygiene. That is why it is important to floss and brush your teeth, and remove food buildups in your teeth and gums. Chew a celery stalk to remove food, and refresh your breath at the same time.
Celery is one of the best veggies you can have. It is on the top of the list of healthy foods, and hopefully these 15 benefits will be enough for you to start snacking it today.
Celery: How to select and store?
Celery is easily available in markets all over the world. Choose the celery which is green in color, has no discoloration, has fresh and crisp leaves. Store it in refrigerator and use in 5-7 days. Make sure you do not freeze it.
Celery: Quick serving ideas
Salad: Add chopped celery leaves to vegetables or meat of your choice. Add salt and crushed pepper to the salad. For dressing, drizzle lime juice and olive oil.
Fruit salad: Mix a sliced apples, nuts such as peanuts raisins etc with chopped celery leaves in a bowl. Mix orange juice with mayonnaise and drizzle it over the mixture.
Soups: Add celery stalks and leaves to soups, gravies etc.
Word of caution: Celery seeds contain volatile oils, flavonoids, coumarins and linoleic acid and are therefore not good for pregnant women because they may cause contractions in the uterus. Other than that, eat as many of those crunchy, green, and healthy stalks as you can!