Receding gums are very painful as they lead to pockets or gaps between your teeth and the gum line. It allows build up of harmful bacteria. This can further lead to severe damage of supporting tissue and bone structure of the teeth and eventual teeth loss.
What causes this condition?
There was a study published in the Journal of Periodontology which discovered that one of the causes for this condition is being too zealous with your teeth cleaning routine. There is another cause and that is genetics. Web MD says that around 30% of the population is predisposed to gum disease. If you are among those people, then the risk increases by time no matter how well you clean your teeth. Smoking may also lead to this condition. Simple Step Dental says that smoking is one of the greatest factors in the development of a different gum issues. This includes receding gums.
What can you do about this problem?
Luckily there are couple of natural remedies which are able to fight this receding gums. These remedies are most helpful if the issue is being discovered before it gets to the point where surgery is necessary as the things get messy from there. Thus, if in case you noticed this issue starts appearing you have to try these remedies. The symptoms of the issue are: bleeding after brushing or flossing, swollen gums, bad breath, and pain at the gum line.
- Green tea – regular consumption of green tea is very helpful in the promotion of healthy teeth and gums, according a Japanese study which was published in the American Dental Association. The tea decreased the periodontal pocket depth, attachment loss of gum tissue, and bleeding when consumed every day.
- Aloe Vera – a study which was published in the Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology named aloe as a “soothing healer to periodontal disease”. The researchers found out that when aloe vera gel is administered orally, the severity of different gum diseases was reduced. This is best done with aloe vera products like toothpaste, mouthwash, and juice.
- Eucalyptus – it is an anti-inflammatory substance for fighting gum disease and it can be also due to its germ-fighting abilities. It is able to combat bacteria which parties in your mouth when gum recession happens. You can create your own mouthwash by mixing 2 tsp of eucalyptus oil and 1 cup of warm water.
- Vitamin C – it has been used to stop swelling, bleeding, and recession. A 14-week study done at the University of California San Francisco that found the severity of bleeding gums to increase when vitamin C intake decreased, and vice versa.
You can also do the following things to reduce the severity of gum disease as well as increase your overall oral health:
- Brushing gently in a circular motion;
- Flossing daily;
- Using mouthwash regularly;
- Maintaining a regular oral health practice.