Written By Admin
Thursday, April 14, 2016
Onions are not only important for the creation of some very noteworthy culinary masterpieces. These herbs are also essential for the attainment of optimal health by fighting off all sorts of maladies. For centuries now, onions have been used by traditional healers for dealing with a wide variety of ailments and diseases. It is also exactly for this reason why onions can be found in various listings ofhome remedies for insect bites, fever, wound infection, hypertension and even cancer.
Aside from onions, quercetin can also be obtained from many other sources. Some of them include apples, citrus fruits and parsley. Experts say that there are impressive amounts of the said flavonoid in red wine and green tea. Some amounts of quercetin can also be found in grapes, blackberries, blueberries, dark cherries, green leafy vegetables, beans and olive oil.
These days, you can also enjoy quercetin by popping a capsule in your mouth. So many health food stores on the internet and offline carry such product due to its popularity. But who needs it when you can obtain quercetin from a wide variety of food sources, most especially onions that can be easily added to soups, stews, stir-fry veggies, salads and others?
Here are some of the truly amazing health benefits offered by onions:
1. They Help Lower FeverIf you are looking for a quick way to lower your temperature when having a fever, simply chop up some onions and potatoes and mince some garlic. Put everything in a pair of socks and wear them. Lie down in bed and place a small piece of towel on your forehead that’s soaked in apple cider vinegar.
2. Onions Shorten the Duration of a ColdThe moment you realize that you just caught a cold, reach for something to eat that has plenty of onions in it. Opting for a salad with at least a whole raw onion in it is a great idea too. You may also chop up an onion then boil it in a cup of water. Strain and add some honey and grated ginger, and drink it.
3. They Help Cure CoughAre your throat and chest already hurting because of that nasty cough? All you have to do is cut a large-sized onion in half and place 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar on each of them. Allow to sit for an hour. Afterwards, grab a spoon and scoop some of the syrupy liquid that has formed, and consume. Do this twice a day to attain relief from cough right away.
4. Their Innermost Part Relieves EaracheRight in the very center of every onion is the so-called heart of the onion. Placing this piece in your ear is a wonderful idea if you are suffering from an earache broght about by ear inflammation due to an infection. The antibacterial properties of an onion can help deal with the problem.
5. Slicing Up Onions Helps Cleanse the EyesIf there’s a small foreign object in your eye that causes irritation, fret not. All you have to do is chop up some onions right in front of you. This will make you cry, thus causing that annoying foreign object to be flushed out.
6. Onions Disinfect Minor WoundsOne of the first few things that you should do upon incurring a minor wound is to immediately wash it with soap and water to remove dirt and bacteria. To make sure that an infection is not going to bug you, simply slice an onion and apply the juice on the wound. This solution is also great for minor burns.
7. They Help Soothe Insect BitesNo one likes having insect bites as they are itchy and oftentimes painful. A quick way to heal those pesky insect bites is by crushing a small piece of onion and daubing the juice on the trouble spots.